These are all the things I consider when designing a new home!
Number 3 is what makes me inspired with a home! Lighting often gets overlooked. But it’s what can personalize your space and make it all come together.
Number 8 is what I feel sets us apart in the building industry . As a designer, I am able to imagine how a family will use their space and make sure it’s functional now the floor plan will work with furniture as well!
- Understand the purpose and function of the space: Before starting any design project, it’s important to have a clear understanding of how the space will be used. This will help inform your design decisions and ensure that the space is functional and meets the needs of the family.
- Create a cohesive color scheme: Choose a color palette that reflects the desired mood and atmosphere of the space. Consider the use of complementary colors, contrasting colors, or a monochromatic scheme to create visual interest and harmony.
- Pay attention to lighting: Lighting plays a crucial role in interior design. Consider both natural and artificial lighting sources to ensure that the space is well-lit and that the lighting enhances the overall ambiance. Incorporate a mix of task lighting, ambient lighting, and accent lighting to create layers of light.
- Consider the scale and proportion: Ensure that the furniture and decorative elements in the space are appropriately scaled to the size of the room. Avoid overcrowding or leaving large empty spaces. Aim for a balanced and harmonious arrangement that allows for comfortable movement and flow.
- Use texture and patterns: Incorporate different textures and patterns to add visual interest and depth to the space. Mix materials such as wood, metal, glass, and fabrics to create a layered and tactile environment.
- Create focal points: Designate a focal point in each room to draw attention and create a sense of visual interest. This could be a statement piece of furniture, an artwork, a fireplace, or a unique architectural feature.
- Pay attention to details: Small details can make a big difference in design. Consider the selection of decorative accessories, such as throw pillows, rugs, artwork, and plants, to add personality and style to the space.
- Consider the flow and layout: Ensure that the layout of the space promotes easy movement and functionality. Arrange furniture in a way that allows for clear pathways and facilitates conversation and interaction.
- Incorporate storage solutions: Effective storage is essential in maintaining a clean and organized space. Consider incorporating built-in storage options, such as shelves or cabinets, to keep clutter to a minimum.
- Personalize the space: Finally, don’t be afraid to inject your own personality and style into the design. Add personal touches, such as family photos, artwork, or heirlooms, to create a space that feels uniquely yours.